Sunday, August 01, 2004

Life as a Worker Bee

It still amazes me how much can happen in so little time. I've gone from student to engineer to "Software Developer" in under a month. I've gotten my first post graduation credential (passed the engineering bar for Puerto Rico, yay!). Its a bit sad I haven't taken the time to write down all the things I've been thinking about and feeling this past month. Before starting work life, I felt so ready, so sure about what to expect and how everything would start to unfold before me. Its always the same with me, I "know" all these things before I'm supposed to know them, so I keep my mouth shut until I've seen them. And now that I've seen a VERY small piece of it, I can safely conclude that I was right about most it. There are many many thoughts going through my mind about all sorts of subjects (how does it feel on your first day of work? how do you start winning the trust of all these different individuals? what's the "scene" out in San Juan? what have I noticed about the "working girls"? and many other. Perhaps the most important thing has been: what are the social rules governing work life? I've already written down a few.)

There's just not enough time to analyze what's going on and live through it at the same time. I've learned that you must choose to do one or the other. I'm finding it tougher and tougher to think about everything in advance, getting to wrapped up in what I'm doing right now.

There are a lot of changes that need to be made. I just hope I have the wisdom to know which ones to choose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home