Friday, June 18, 2004

Car hunting update

Part of my trip to Boston is to tap into my older brother's expertise in cars so that I may decide which one shall I buy once I get back home. Before coming here I did extensive research on my own (with the help of other experts back home as well) and I had narrowed down the list to a few before coming here: the VW GTI 1.8T, Mazda 6s, Mazda RX8, Acura RSX, Sentra SER VSpec, and the Civic Si. It took him 1 min to mow down that list to just two, though (through a slight bias, even though he won't admit it ;)) the GTI is his pick. I'll be test driving the r32 tomorrow and figuring out whether I might be able to ship it home. Regardless, I have many other details that make my personal choice the Mazda 6s....even though my research has not concluded yet. Just to document them, what I need in a car is:

1. Room, Room, room - I need to be able to fit in there, with space to spare in all directions. And even if its not everyday, I want to know that I can fit in a lot of people to go party in my car or to go to the beach. My passengers need to be as comfortable as I am.
2. Handling over power - it needs to hug the road, even if some or other car drives by, I need to be able to catch them where it counts....by maneuvring skill.
3. Creature comforts - I am extremely picky when it comes to where things are in my car, how they look and how well they work.
4. Customer service - I need to feel that if something happens to my car, someone has my back at all times.
5. Show AND Go - People that see my car (even if just just half a second) have to look at it, the exterior must exude "Ramphis is doing fine" from all angles (basically so I can answer all questions of "Why did you stay in Puerto Rico?" with "Look at my car"....please leave the "Oh..but you could've bought such and such in the states" argument at the door....newsflash: I won't be in the states. Words to live by for those folks: Same game, different rules ;) Remember that.) But it also has to outperform every other car in its class...period.

So far, two cars fill that description....one fills it to the T (at least personally) and the other is right up there....though it smacks with the "been there, done that" or a "me too" flavor, I'm trying to avoid as best as I can.

We'll see how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home